I have always loved bacon. It is definitely my favorite type of meat and the ultimate in bacon cooking is the Bacon Explosion. If your not familiar, the Bacon Explosion is basically a meatloaf wrapped in bacon. There are lots of different variations and today I would like to share mine with you. I cooked this for dinner during the Superbowl.
The first step is to foil line a pan and make the internal bacon weave. This weave will be a 5×6. Line up five slices, then start weaving bacon in until you get a five by 6. Bake this weave in the oven @ 400 degrees until mostly done.
The next step is to make the meat! You could also buy the meat but I enjoy grinding. This is just the food grinder attachment to the Kitchen Aid mixer. I used Round Eye steak, Jimmy Dean’s Sausage and 4 pieces of bacon.
I used the fine grinding attachment and ground the meat twice. You put it through the first time and then mix it by hand, then run it through again. Don’t bother cutting the fat off the meat, it gets incorporated by the grinder.
Carefully move the bacon on top of the meat. I used what is called a fish spatula but anything will work.
At this point, it is easier to work with if it is a little cold. So, I wrapped it in foil and put it in the refrigerator. Also, during the process I tried to compress it as much as possible with the foil. Now we get into the main show. You should have gained some experience weaving on the first one. This one is important and make sure it is tight. Also, make sure you buy really consistent bacon. I actually look through a couple of packages at the store. If it is cut or larger on one side, it makes wrapping hard and inconsistent. I also seasoned this part.
Now, take the meat out of the refrigerator and place it approximately as shown. Then wrap the weave over top and tuck it in on the other side. A lot of the other wraps shown on the internet wrap horizontally. This is not nearly as cool, wrapping on a diagnal makes a much nicer final product. It also works better when you cut it.
- Serves: 10
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 353
- Fat: 26
- Carbohydrates: 1
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 29
- 29 slices Thick cut bacon
- 14 oz Steak
- 10 oz Pork Sausage
- 4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- Layout 5×6 bacon weave, bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until near crisp
- Create meat mixture by grinding steak, bacon and sausage
- Layout meat in a rectangle the same size as the first bacon weave
- Season meat and then place bacon weave on meat
- Place cheese in center of bacon
- Roll meat into a tight roll, then refrigerate
- Make 7×7 bacon weave
- Roll bacon weave over meat at a diagonal pattern
- Bake at 400 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees
- Let set for 10 minutes and then slice and enjoy!