Update: I’ve posted a YouTube video on making Chorizo Breakfast Casserole!
I break my breakfast foods into two separate categories. First there is the weekend breakfast. This is meant to be extravagant, over the top, and possibly really long and time consuming. There is a decent payoff but it is in no way practical for every day eating. Also, these recipes might be too high in calories or have ratios that aren’t perfect for keto. The second category is the weekday breakfast. These should be super easy and make tons of portions. Today’s recipe fits in the later category. Chorizo Breakfast Casserole is designed for 5 days of breakfast for two.
No fear, we can grind it! Honestly, I was kind of shocked that this worked so well but I just jammed those sausages into my Kitchenaid meat grinder and it make a really nice consistency!
To make my breakfast cooking easier, I recently picked up a 15″ Lodge Cast Iron. Note, this thing is HUGE! You can see my 12″ and 8″ in the background for comparison. On the plus side it really makes quick work of these large portion sizes.
Once the onions are done, add them into a large bowl along with the chorizo. This is a change from the way I used to make my breakfast casseroles like the breakfast quiche. I used to mix them up in the casserole dish but this caused it to be inconsistent and it would often stick to the pan. So now I use a huge bowl and add all the ingredients as they finish.
For this version, I microwaved some frozen spinach, drained it, and tossed it in. Note that you could add any vegetables at this point. I often go with either cauliflower or broccoli depending on what I have on hand.
The last ingredient is freshly shredded cheese.
Add the cheese to the bowl along with all the rest of the ingredients.The last thing to add is the egg mixture. Make sure to do this fast as some of the ingredients might be hot and you don’t want to scramble the eggs. You want to transition the mixture to a casserole dish soon after you add the eggs.Move the mixture to a large casserole dish and optionally add tomatoes.
That’s it! You’re done! Now you have a full week of Delicious Chorizo Breakfast Casserole!
- Serves: 10
- Serving size: 1/10th
- Calories: 362
- Fat: 28
- Carbohydrates: 7
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 24
- 16 Oz Ground Chorizo
- 110 g Onion (1 small)
- 145 g Green Pepper (1 small)
- 366 g Spinach
- 180 g Heavy Cream (12 Tbsp)
- 12 eggs
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt, Pepper
- 8 Oz Cheddar
- 9 Oz Cherry Tomatoes
- Cook the spinach in the microwave
- Grind up or chop the chorizo and cook in a skillet until browned
- Put finished chorizo in a large bowl
- Thinly slice 1 onion and 1 pepper, cook in the same skillet, when done put in the large bowl
- When the spinach is done, add to the bowl
- Whisk together the 12 eggs, heavy cream and spices
- Add the cheese to the bowl and combine, then add the egg mixture and combine
- Transfer to a greased casserole dish
- (Optional) Add cherry tomatoes
- Cook at 350 degrees for 50 minutes