If you know me, you know I love my cast iron. I have a fancy set of Calphalon non stick that we got for our wedding but since I’ve started keto I almost exclusively cook with Cast Iron. Well recently I’ve pickup up a new ginormous-sized cast iron skillet and I knew what I had to do. I had to make a giant, week sized frittata! If you’re not familiar, a frittata is basically a skillet baked omelet. It is very similar to a quiche but the taste and texture is different because of the cooking vessel. Also, I have been getting tired of my standby breakfast quiche and I needed something new.
Here’s a finished slice! It was amazing! I think I did use a few too many veggies but the end result was really good.
The first step in this recipe is to cook the bacon. This pan is so big I needed both of my bacon presses in order to cover the bacon!
While the bacon is cooking, take this chance to prep the vegetables. The first thing is to thinly slice a green pepper. I like to do slices because when fried they make a string like texture which gives a nice feel to the breakfast.
Do the same with an onion.
Next come the brussels sprouts. I used to wash the brussels sprouts individually but now I just put them in a bowl and soak them in cold water. Then you can move them around and rinse them all at once.
For this recipe, I used the slicing attachment for the food processor. It makes quick work of the brussels sprouts! I just take a few out of the water at a time and throw them down the chute of the slicer.
Finally, add the eggs and mix it some more. At this point, you want to cook the mixture, as it is right now, for 2-3 minutes on the stove top. This sets the bottom of the mixture. If you skip this step you’ll probably have a runny frittata.
And there you have it! I place the breakfast into a ziploc, microwaveable container and I’m all set for the week. I don’t even eat breakfast at home anymore, I just grab one of these on my way out the door and heat it up at the office!
- Serves: 8
- Serving size: ⅛th
- Calories: 491
- Fat: 35
- Carbohydrates: 18
- Fiber: 6
- Protein: 29
- 8 Slices Bacon
- 1 Small Onion (125 g)
- 1 Small Pepper (133 g)
- 542 g Brussels Sprouts
- 1 Head Cauliflower (965 g)
- 12 Oz. Cheddar Cheese
- 12 Eggs
- 6 Oz Heavy Cream
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- Start by cooking bacon until crisp, keep the bacon grease in the skillet
- Thinly slice the onion and pepper
- Shred the brussels sprouts and cauliflower
- Cook all the vegetables in the skillet
- While vegetables are cooking, prepare the egg mixture with 12 eggs, 6 Oz cream and spices, whisk to combine
- If required, shred cheddar cheese
- When the vegetables are done, aka translucent and cooked, crumble and add the bacon and cheese
- Mix well and then add the eggs and mix again
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on stovetop
- Transfer skillet to oven set to 450 and cook for an additional 25 minutes
- Slice and serve!