The hardest meal to think of innovative options for is lunch. For breakfast there are many different egg and bacon concepts. For dinner you can make steaks, side dishes, etc. For lunch, the entire meal needs to fit in a tiny container and generally everything in the container needs to be microwave safe and quick. My wife wanted to switch it up so we tried Chicken Cordon Bleu. The inspiration for this was a post on LCF: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/725313-chicken-cordon-bleu-casserole.html
For this meal, I used chicken thighs. The reason for this is I made half Chicken Thighs with Spinach and half this. So I was able to get by just getting one meat product. The original recipe calls for chicken tenders. However, I think if I were to make it again I would just use chicken breasts The first step is to rough chop the chicken as shown and apply salt and pepper.
Add cubed ham. I used ham steak and cut it up. WARNING: I just bought any other ham steak and to my dismay, when I got home I discovered this has sugar in it. Make sure to buy one without sugar. I used it anyway but I was really close to just pitching it because I eat a lot of vegetables and I really don’t want empty carbs.
Here is the final result before baking. When you add the liquid over top, give it a stir to combine everything together. One note, for these massive, all week meals, I don’t use a standard 9×13 pan. The one shown is actually a 15″ x 10″ casserole dish.
- Serves: 10
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 486
- Fat: 30
- Carbohydrates: 4
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 38
- 53 oz Chicken (breast or tender or thighs)
- 300 g Ham Steak
- 11 oz Jarlsberg Swiss Cheese
- 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- To Taste Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder
- 1 cup Cream Cheese
- Cut up chicken into 1″ cubes, spread on bottom of pan
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder the chicken
- Cut up the ham into ½” cubes and sprinkle on top of chicken
- Shred Swiss cheese and spread over mixtures
- Heat the cream cheese in the microwave, then add the cream and mix, pour over casserole
- Mix the dish up
- Bake @ 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Makes 10 portions. Half the recipe for 5 or a smaller pan.