This St. Patrick’s Day, skip the green beer and indulge in some keto friendly meat and vegetables! Corned beef and cabbage are super cheap at every grocery store right now and you might as well take advantage. Just pop the ingredients in the crockpot and come home to some awesome irish food!
Place the corned beef over the vegetables. Note that I wanted to have a lot of left over corned beef for other purposes so you could definitely just cook one roast if you wanted. However I figured while I was firing up the crockpot I might as well cook both of them!
Next, cook the corned beef on low for 7 hours. I use a programmable crockpot so I set it for 7 hours on low, and then it switches automatically to warm until I get home.
- Serves: 10
- Serving size: 1/10th
- Calories: 583
- Fat: 40
- Carbohydrates: 13
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 42
- 1 Small Onion (173 g)
- 1 Celery bunch (327 g)
- 4 Carrots (245 g)
- 4 Cups Water
- ½ tsp Ground Coriander
- ½ tsp Ground Mustard
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Allspice
- ½ tsp Ground Marjoram
- ½ tsp Ground Thyme
- 5.88 lb Corned Beef
- 1 Large Head Cabbage (1.33 kg)
- Cut up the onions, celery and carrots
- Line the bottom of the crockpot with the above vegetables
- Add 4 cups of water
- Mix together all the spices
- Rub both sides of the corned beef with the spices and place on top of the vegetables
- Cover and cook in the crockpot for 7 hours on low
- Discard the top layer of the cabbage, wash, and quarter (I did this ahead of time and had it in the fridge ready for later)
- Place the cabbage in the crockpot and cook for an additional 1 hour on low
- Plate and serve!
|Cuisinart PSC-650 6-1/2-Quart Crockpot
Useful for set it and a forget it meals where you place all the items into the crockpot and let it rip! Most crockpots use a ceramic, dishwasher safe bowl that’s heated from the outside to a low temperature which allows the ingredients to simmer for hours.
|Victorinox Fibrox 8″ Chef’s Knife
You really only need one good knife. This one is it. America’s Test Kitchen rated it the number one budget knife!
Non-slip Cutting Board
Let’s face it, keto involves a lot of prep. You’ve got to slice all those vegetables, cut up all that meat and not just any old board will do. Make sure to grab yourself a nice non-slip one for the kitchen!