One fun part of cooking keto is trying to emulate previously loved high carb dishes. In the past I have gone on a mission to recreate breads as well as potatoes. Today I start my mission to try out and test various pasta substitutes. This first recipe uses shredded cabbage with beef and pasta sauce for a surprisingly pasta like dish!
Here’s the finished product!
With the cabbage quartered, it should fit well in the food processor. Shred it all and prepare to cook it.
For straining the grease from meat, I actually use a vegetable steamer. It works well because you can strain into a regular pot and then discard the grease. Its much less messy than trying to remove the grease while the meat is still in the pan.
For this recipe I used this Rao’s Homemade sauce. It is only 4 carbs per serving with 1 fiber and 6 servings total. It ends up with 18 net carbs per bottle which is far less than any of the other ones at my local store. You can use any sauce you like but I thought it was really good with this slightly spicy sauce.
- Serves: 8
- Serving size: 8 oz
- Calories: 365
- Fat: 28
- Carbohydrates: 11
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 19
- 1.029 Kg Green Cabbage (one head)
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter
- ½ Cup Water
- 24 oz Pasta Sauce
- To Taste Salt and pepper
- 24 oz 85% Ground beef
- Start by removing the outermost layer of cabbage and discarding
- Quarter the cabbage and shred in a food processor, alternatively you could buy pre-shredded cabbage
- Melt a stick of butter in a large pot and add the cabbage and water, season with salt and pepper
- Cover and cook for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally
- While the cabbage is cooking, brown the beef and drain
- Add the beef to the cabbage and stir
- Add the pasta sauce and stir
- (Optional) Garnish with cheese