For Valentine’s day this year I wanted to go all out. I also wanted to cook some new food Last year we were just starting the keto diet so V-day was actually the first time we had eaten at a restaurant in 30 days. But I digress … For dinner this year we had Seared and Stuffed Flank Steak with a side of Brussel Sprout Burgers and for dessert we had Low Carb Strawberry Cheesecake!
The first step is to butterfly the flank steak. To do so, get a really sharp knife and slice parallel to the chopping board, stopping before you cut all the way through. The grain direction is really important for this so make sure it is as I’ve shown above. You want to place the meat on the cutting board with the grain going vertically. Then you slice it from right to left and unfold as shown. The grain should still be facing vertically as in the picture.
Next, we need to truss the flank steak. Using cotton cooking twine start by tying an overhand knot at one end of the flank steak.
Continue the trussing by doing what’s called a chain hitch over the rest of the roast. Basically you just make a loop for each of the middle elements of the roast. You continue doing this every inch or so until you get to the end. Then at the end you tie another knot. This insures that the meat will stay together and increases the likelihood that the stuffing will stay in.
I made these the day before and marinated them over night. I wrapped them in saran wrap then put them in a plastic ziploc bag. The main reason I did this was to reduce the actual cooking time on V-day. If you’re just making these for dinner you can either cook it right away or maybe marinate for 30 minutes or so.
Here’s the Seared and Stuffed Flank Steak along with the Brussel Sprout Burgers.
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: ⅙th
- Calories: 470
- Fat: 25
- Carbohydrates: 6
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 54
- 2.26 Lb Flank Steak (2 steaks)
- 16 oz Spinach
- 7 oz Roasted Peppers
- 4 oz Bleu Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Almond Flour
- 1 Egg Yolk
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Pepper
- ½ tsp Salt
- Start by placing the grain of the flank steak vertically, aka from front to back
- Using a sharp knife, butterfly the flank steak by cutting it from right to left
- Microwave some frozen spinach and drain the liquid
- Slice the roasted red peppers
- Combine remaining ingredients with the spinach and mix
- Spread the mixture over the steak and roll with the grain
- Truss the steak with cotton kitchen twine
- Wrap with saran wrap and marinate for at least 30 minutes
- Cook at 425 degrees for 35 minutes
- Then broil for 10 minutes, rotating after 5 minutes
- Cover with foil and rest for 5-10 minutes before serving