Pasta is one of those carboholic dishes that people tend to crave when first switching to a ketogenic or low carb diet. I’ve tried a bunch of crazy faux pastas like tofu based shirataki noodles, shredded vegetables like cabbage but none have come as close as spaghetti squash. There is just something about its texture and look that make it the perfect faux pasta!
This recipe starts with the humble spaghetti squash. Note that this is a specific type of squash and not any squash will do. You might need to go to a market with a decent amount of produce to find it. Also, for an added bonus for the environment, I use these reusable produce bags so I’m not constantly throwing away the plastic ones.
Carbs permitting, I also like to throw in some chopped onion.
To make the meatballs, I like to cover my kitchen scale with saran wrap and measure out each meatball. This way they are all the same size and will cook consistently. For these meatballs I went with 2 oz portions.
This batch yielded 20 or so meatballs, well, really 19 and one awkward one. I would suggest you just pretend it makes 18 and eat the remainders before you serve them to your family. It will be our secret …
Make the meatballs in three steps. First, make a hole in the center with your finger. Then insert a piece of mozzarella. Finally, place the meatball in your hand and form the meat over the mozzarella. Repeat this for all of the meatballs.
The easiest way to do this is to put on a pair of ove gloves and grab the squash in your hand. Then take a fork and shred the squash into a bowl. Its a little bit of a time crunch because you want to shred the squash before it gets cold but they are really hot from cooking.
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: 135g Spaghetti, 3 meatballs, ½ cup sauce
- Calories: 636
- Fat: 46
- Carbohydrates: 17
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 37
- 2 Spaghetti Squash - 1.437 Kg Raw, 0.810 Kg Cooked
- 32 Oz Ground Pork
- 1 Egg
- 1 small Onion (84g)
- 8 Oz Mozzarella
- 1 Tbsp Ground Flax Seed
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ tsp Frank's Hot Sauce
- 2 Oz Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 3 cups Rao's Tomato Basil Sauce
- Wash the Spaghetti Squash, cut in half, and scrape out the seeds
- Place face down on a casserole dish with 2 cups of water
- Cook at 375 degrees for 45 minutes
- Mix together the pork, egg, parmesan cheese, spices and flax seed
- Form 2 oz meatballs
- Split the mozzarella into 18 pieces
- Make in indent into the meatball and place a piece of mozzarella into it
- Wrap the meat around the meatball
- Place on a greased, foil lined sheet
- Cook at 375 degrees for 25 minutes
- When the Spaghetti Squash is done, shred it with a fork
- Combine 135g shredded Spaghetti Squash, ½ cup of sauce and three meatballs
- Optionally, top with shredded Parmesan!