Getting enough greens is always an issue. Even though keto is heavy on the fat and protein, you still need your vegetables! So what’s the best way to prepare vegetables? Drench them in fat and bacon of course!
Here is the finished dish and let me tell you, it tastes amazing! This possibly replaces creamy cheesy spinach as my favorite side.
Once you’ve quartered all of the brussels sprouts, throw them in a large prep bowl.
Next mix in 1/4 of a cup of bacon grease into the mix. You do have a bacon grease keeper, don’t you? As you can see I’ve almost filled mine, its sad but its a pretty big accomplishment 🙂 If you don’t have bacon grease, just use olive oil.
At this point, also add the fish sauce and pepper. No salt is needed since the fish sauce and the bacon grease is already pretty laden with sodium. Note that the fish sauce smells rank but I promise it tastes good after cooking.
Of course it wouldn’t be a keto side without bacon! For really flat, evenly cooked bacon, use a bacon press.
Here are the Bacon Brussels Sprouts with some jerk chicken and cole slaw.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: ¼th
- Calories: 143
- Fat: 10
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 6
- 24 Oz Brussels Sprouts
- ¼ Cup Fish Sauce
- ¼ Cup Bacon Grease ( Can subsitute any oil)
- 6 Strips Bacon (Optional)
- To Taste Pepper
- De-stem and quarter brussels sprouts
- Mix the brussels sprouts with the bacon grease and fish sauce
- Cook bacon and cut into small strips
- Add bacon into mix along with pepper and stir
- Spread brussels sprouts on a greased pan
- Cook at 450 degrees for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes
- Finish off the brussels sprouts on broil for a few minutes