Mashed Cauliflower: There are many like it, but this one is mine. This version turned out really well, I actually mashed it with a potato masher instead of grinding it to a pulp like usual. I served it at Easter along with Green Bean Casserole and Ham.
Chop the cauliflower down to manageable sized pieces.For the bacon, I chose to cook it in the convection oven. I like pan frying bacon but when I’m trying to multitask, it works well to use the oven. Also this smaller oven is much faster to heat up and the convection cooks the bacon in 15-20 minutes from cold.
Here’s the bacon in the convection oven.
And the finished bacon!
Now, onto the cheese. For this recipe I like to make cubes of cheese. This cheese slicer really makes quick work of large blocks of cheese. I find that knives get stuck when cutting the cheese.
Now for the fun part, take the potato masher and go crazy. Also add the cream cheese at this step. I used to take an immersion blender and go to town on the cauliflower but I found that the hand masher results in a better, less liquidy final product.
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: ⅙th
- Calories: 210
- Fat: 15
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 12
- 1 Head Cauliflower
- 2 Oz. Cream Cheese
- 5 Slices Bacon
- 2½ Oz. Cheddar Cheese
- 2½ Oz. Monterey Jack Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon and crumble
- Wash, deleave and chop up the cauliflower
- Bring some water to a boil, then add the cauliflower and boil for 9 minutes
- While the cauliflower is boiling, cube the cheeses
- Drain the cauliflower
- Mash the cauliflower, then add the cream cheese and mash again
- Season with salt and pepper
- Stir in the cheese and bacon
- (Optional) Transfer to a baking dish and bake for 10 minutes @ 350 degrees