Last weekend we decided to have some friends over for a keto tapas night! It was especially fitting since we had convinced this couple to join the keto cult a little over a month ago and they are still going strong! In order to prepare for the event, I made up a few new items and also modified some old ones to be more “tapas”. If you are not familiar, tapas is a Spanish concept where you have many different, small dishes. The first one I came up with was keto Cheesy Sausage Balls. It consists of a sausage cheese ball placed on top of a mini almond bun!
Here is the process of making the balls. I just took a package of Jimmy Dean’s Breakfast Sausage and combined it with some shredded cheese. Then I split the total sausage into twos until I got 8 parts. I then took a small cube of cheese and inserted it into the center of the balls and rolled.
For the bottom of the balls I made mini almond buns per the original recipe. Then instead of using the muffin top pan, I spread the batter across the bottom of a regular muffin pan. Ideally, I would use a whoopie pie pan but I don’t own one 🙁 I should note that I used some of the batter for another recipe, if you use the whole original recipe, fill all 12 bun locations.
To cook the balls, I used my convection oven. I like using the convection oven for small stuff like this cause I can wrap the pan in aluminum foil and cook small batches really fast. The oven heats up way faster than my regular oven and uses less energy.
- Serves: 8
- Serving size: 1 ball / bun
- Calories: 256
- Fat: 22
- Carbohydrates: 3
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 12
- 12 oz Jimmy Dean's Sausage
- 6 oz Shredded Cheddar cheese
- 12 Cubes Cheddar (Optional)
- 12 Mini Almond Buns (Prepared per almond bun recipe)
- Mix shredded cheese and sausage
- Divide into 12 equal parts
- Place cube of cheese into center of sausage and roll into balls
- Cook at 400 degrees until sausage is done (varies by oven, probably 15-20 minutes)
- If making buns, use standard proportions and fill either the bottom of a muffin pan or a whoopie pan and cook per instructions
- Using a toothpick, secure one ball to one bun and enjoy!